This vegetarian pasta bake gets a boost from an entire sheet pan of roasted vegetables, including cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper. Use a big enough pan for the vegetables to spread out and roast; if they’re crammed together, they’ll steam. A half-sheet pan measuring 18 by 13 inches would suffice.
For weekday meal prep, try this recipe. It’s a simple recipe to make, and the vegetables include a range of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
15 minutes of active time 1 hour and 5 minutes total
Baked Ziti with Vegetables
- 2 cups tiny cauliflower florets (205g)
- 2 cups (227g) cubed zucchini
- 2 cups (155g) cubed eggplant
- 1 cup (100g) coarsely chopped onion
- 8 ounces (227g) quartered cremini mushrooms
- 1 large (175g) red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, coarse
- a quarter teaspoon of black pepper
- uncooked ziti, 12 oz. (340 g)
- 1 container low-sodium marinara sauce (24 oz/680 g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (smoked)
- 1 1/2 cups (170g) part-skim mozzarella shredded
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius). Using cooking spray, coat a big sheet pan. Toss cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, oil, salt, and pepper together in a pan. On the pan, arrange the vegetables in an even layer. Roast for about 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes, until tender. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
Cook pasta according to package instructions while the vegetable roast; drain. Combine marinara sauce and smoked paprika in a big mixing bowl. Combine the cooked pasta and roasted vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Fill a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with the mixture and spray it with cooking spray. Cheese should be uniformly distributed. Bake for 20 minutes, uncovered until the cheese melts and sauce is slightly bubbly.
Preheat the broiler to high. Broil for 1–2 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown.
8 servings | 1 1/3 cup serving size
Calories: 311; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 11mg; Sodium: 438mg; Carbohydrate: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 14g Calories: 311; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 11mg;
Potassium: 550 mg; Iron: 13%; Vitamin A: 42 percent; Vitamin C: 66 percent; Calcium: 23%