For a nutritious and filling meal, mix hearty farro with over-easy eggs and a rainbow of vegetables in this dish. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand, or soft boil the eggs for a slightly different spin on the traditional veggie cup.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 cup (240 mL) shredded carrots
- 1 cup (240 mL) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 mug (240 ml) Brussels sprouts (Brussels sprouts)
- 1 mug (240 ml) cabbage (purple)
- 1 mug (240 ml) the farro
- 2 quarts (480 ml) 1/2 teaspoon vegetable broth (2.5 ml) powdered garlic
- a half teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt
- 2 eggs from Eggland’s Best
- 1 avocado, Sriracha sauce, sliced (or another kind of chilli sauce)
- Hemp seeds are used as a garnish.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss mushrooms and Brussels sprouts with olive oil, garlic powder, and sea salt in a big mixing bowl. Roast the vegetables on a baking sheet for 20–25 minutes.
Make farro while the vegetables are roasting. Bring farro, a pinch of salt, and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook on low heat for 30 minutes, or until the farro is tender and the liquid has evaporated.
In a small sauté pan, fry two eggs over easy just before serving.
Divide the cooked farro, roasted Brussels sprouts and mushrooms, avocado, carrots, and purple cabbage among the bowls to eat. One fried egg should be placed on top of each bowl. Serve with a drizzle of Sriracha or chilli sauce and hemp seeds on top.
Serving size: 1 veggie bowl | Servings: 2
Calories: 298; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 446mg; Carbohydrate: 58mg; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 15g.